If you are one of those who don’t like leaving their cats at home and instead travel with them, there are some important tips to follow in order to ensure the best comfort and safety for your pet.
- Irrespective of whatever medium of transport you are using, you should hang a collar along with a tag around its neck. The tag must contain your name, hotel address and phone number. In that case, even if your cat is lost, there will be a greater chance to find it out.
- If you use car too often, make your cat familiarize with car travelling. In that case, the pet won’t be frightened while traveling by car and enjoy its journey. Usually, pets take great pleasure during their trip if they are habituated with traveling since their childhood days.
- Carry your cat in a special basket or bag. Such kind of pet carrier must be tied by a tight seat belt to cut down the risk of its falling down and getting hurt. The cats, which travel frequently, consider the carrying baskets just a “home away from home”. Such basket is very comfortable and also a safe place for your pet during the journey.
- If you are on a long trip, carry toilet tray as well as enough of water and food for your pet. It is also important to stop regularly on your way so that the pet can drink, eat and relieve itself.
- You must make sure that required vaccines have been administered to your cat especially if you are heading to a new country or region. You should also take care to prevent attack of external parasites on your lovely pet such as fleas and ticks. Consult your veterinarian as to anti-ectoparasite agents. It is crucial to gently comb your cat every day and also inspect its skin so that external parasites can be detected earlier. If you will be staying in the new place for a week or more, don’t forget to find out the nearest veterinary clinic.
- In some cases, you may be required to carry your cat via public transport like train, bus or airplane. In that case, the pet is to be carried separately. Your cat may need some time to accustom itself to the basket and you need to take responsibility of making it feel safe.
- Never feed your cat just before the trip. It will be better to feed it six hours before the journey.
- If your cat suffers from motion sickness, don’t delay to consult your veterinarian.
Following the simple tips will keep your cat happy and also save you from unnecessary troubles.